Thursday, October 4, 2012

Strengths-Finder

So, I took the online assesment for the new book Strengths Finder 2.0, which tells you what you're good at so you can focus on it and improve it instead of focusing on your weaknesses.  It's got a bit of a slant towards the workplace envoronment, which is slightly irrelevant for me because I'm a student. 
It ranks your top five qualities.  I got:
1) Strategic
2) Empathy
3) Intellection
4) Harmony
5) Input
And the link up there, up yonder ^ is to the PDF of my results, where it elaborates on what I'm good at and what I bring to the table when I work with others. 
I think I know myself pretty well, so I wasn't too surpised by my results.  I know I'm good at empathizing with people and it is definitely one of my strengths, I know I'm decently smart, so Intellection wasn't a shocker, Harmony, I guess, goes along with Empathy, Input I guess is like Intellection. 
But what I didn't see coming is my number one strength - Strategic.  I don't think of myself as being too good with strategies and problem solving.  I think of myself as pretty awful with problem-solving actually.  If it's a people-problem, I can deal with it and work through it, because people in general are reasonable and I know how to reason with them when I need to, and I know how to let them get all worked up and stop associating with me if they are causing too much of an issue.  I guess that last part isn't problem solving, but come on, some people are just irritating.
Driven by your talents, you periodically identify problems others fail to notice. You might create
solutions and find the right answers. Perhaps you yearn to improve certain things about yourself,
other people, or situations. Maybe you are drawn to specific kinds of classes, books, or activities.
Why? Maybe they promise to give you the skills or knowledge you seek. Chances are good that you
might have a knack for identifying problems. You might generate alternatives for solving them.
Sometimes you consider the pros and cons of each option. Perhaps you factor into your thinking
prevailing circumstances or available resources. Maybe you feel life is good when you think you may

be choosing the best course of action. Because of your strengths, you may see solutions before other

people know there is a problem. You might start formulating answers before your teammates,
coworkers, or classmates understand the question. Sometimes you generate numerous ideas before
sorting to the one that makes the most sense in a particular situation. It’s very likely that you may be
inclined to examine the basic elements of certain types of problems. You might attempt to understand
how and why things work or fail to work. These insights might stimulate your thinking. Then you try to
generate a few alternative plans. Considering prevailing circumstances, available resources, and time
constraints, you might narrow down your options. Perhaps the plan that offers the best chance of
solving the problem naturally reveals itself. Instinctively, you may notice that multiple solutions to

nagging problems just pop into your mind. Sometimes you study each option from many different

angles. Perhaps you carefully evaluate the entire situation, then choose the alternative that makes the
most sense. Why? Maybe you aim to outscore or outperform your rivals.





I have no idea why there's a giant space right there. 
That's what the paragraph on "Strategic" said for me.  It doesn't really say anything about problem-solving.  Maybe that's its own category.  I haven't really thought of myself too much in this way, as being able to think of things before other people do, but I guess it's true.  Sometimes I know where a teacher is going before they get there, and before the rest of class gets there.
I highlighted the parts of myself that I recognized in there
Chances are good that you fondly recall the attention or care given to you by an educator or coach.
The individual probably encouraged you as a youth. Consequently, you have an easy time
establishing a rapport with others. Your personable style and optimistic attitude attract people. It’s
very likely that you might educate yourself about the basic facts surrounding certain types of issues or
situations. To reduce the possibility of conflict, you may consider everyone’s point of view. Perhaps
you help some individuals see where they are in agreement with others. Now and then, you can move
specific individuals toward consensus — that is, a judgment arrived at by most of those concerned.
Instinctively, you might have adopted a practical outlook on life during childhood. Perhaps you figured
out how to avoid “rocking the boat” — that is, how not to cause trouble or disrupt an otherwise stable
situation. Maybe this was true in your relationships with not only children but also adults. Today, you
may have a knack for treating everyone the same. You sometimes want everyone around you to
behave in a predictable, calm, and cordial manner. By nature, you might search for facts when coping
with uncertain situations. By taking a problem apart piece by piece, you occasionally discover its
glitches — that is, its minor problems that cause temporary setbacks. Once in a while, your objective
investigation benefits individuals, particularly those who become emotional when confronted with
difficulties. Perhaps your insights into what is factual enable them to view things a bit more matter-offactly.
Maybe this is one way you help some people agree on how to deal with unpleasant
circumstances or overcome obstacles. Because of your strengths, you might not want any one thing
to consume every minute of your day. For practical purposes, you may choose to handle some
personal or professional problems matter-of-factly or deal with information unemotionally. Perhaps
you minimize conflict between people by not taking sides. Instead, you try to make certain individuals
aware of things as they actually are. Maybe you emphasize what they have in common.
 
This sounds a lot more like me, to me.  This seems to be more like a personality trait than the "Strategic" did.  I guess it's a side of myself that I am more familiar or acquainted with.  I like the results of this.  It makes me sound smart, and nice.  Which I suppose I am, but it's always better to hear compliments from someone other than yourself.
I guess, by pointing out the good things about me, my self esteem has gone up a bit. 
Now I'm going to go and kill it by grabbing a cookie.


No comments:

Post a Comment