Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I've made a discovery and now I want to share it

So, since I'm doing this whilst sitting in the library I feel like it's awfully rude to put my feet up on the desk and type with the keyboard in my lap...sad face
Anywho, since I don't want to go back up to my dorm room yet, and leave this opportunity to get my internet-fix, I'm going to sit here and tell y'all about my life.
Something that is new and that I'm in love with is the TV show RuPaul's Drag Race.  It's a contest-style reality show featuring drag queens, and hosted by Miss RuPaul herself.
 I'm not exactly sure how one is supposed to refer to a drag queen, but I'm going to go with the feminine pronouns because that's what they call each other.  So yeah, I like this show because it's full of fashion gorgeousness.
 There's a runway show in every episode, and seeing what clothes get created is my favorite part.  The picture above is when they had to create an elegant ball  dress out of fake money - think Monopoly money.  They had only a week to make these, and it's always so cool to see how their creations turn out. 
 This lovely lady won season three, which I just finished last night, and she's very different from the other girls because she is pretty androgenous, which isn't the most common or popular form of drag.  She always came up with looks that were really high fashion and super creative, and the androgeny made her look like those really skinny models who are so skinny that they don't have womanly curves in the first place.
These men are prettier than I am!  Then again, if I put on as much makeup and as fancy of dresses and outfits as they did, I'd look like a million bucks too.  I guess it's pretty inspiring to watch, because above all, a drag queen is a performer, and drag is a form of art - mixing fashion and acting - and any kind of art is always inspiring. 
Despite being infused with pop-culture shallowness (like the reality format) this show has got heart.  It's about all these talented people striving towards one goal...
getting that crown, which means that they'll get opportunities to promote themselves, a life-time supply of high-end makeup, and a cash prize, which has increased every season. 
Since what they do and since the vast majority of them are gay, a drag queen's life is filled with hardships that the rest of the world wouldn't dream of having to deal with.  I admire these ladies for their strength, creative ability, and ability to look more glamorous than I probably ever will.
RuPaul's Drag Race everybody...

No comments:

Post a Comment