Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Somewhat Unclaimed Poem and What My Mind Does If Left Unsupervised

So, this reading we got for class is a whole bunch of poems about musical creativity and whatnot with no one directly attributed to them.  That's irritating.  I have a feeling that they're written by the same person, because I found an identical line in two different poems, but I would like to have a name....
Anyways, this is a poem - nice and short because I'd really rather be sleeping now - that I'm going to ramble around.

Composers pay attention to daydreams.
A wandering mind is creative.
When your mind wanders, follow it.
Remember where you have been.
Memory and imagination are partners.

It's short and to the point.  I like it.  It's not some flowery Ode to the Virtues and Beauty of Our Lady, Music. 
My favorite line, though I like them all, is "When your mind wanders, follow it." it's a cool anthropomorphism, but only half of one, because were talking about a human mind...
It's also very good advice for anyone who aspires to be creative, or just a happier person in general.  It is also very prudent to follow your mind when it begins to drift off so as to prevent this:
 happens to the best of us.
But seriously, the way a mind leaps around from place to place is fascinating, perhaps a bit more so for me because I have ADHD so the skipping-around nature is sort of hard-wired into me.  But really anyone can do it. 
Kind of reminds me of a frog on lily pads
there they go!
They're off to the races!

reminds me of the old-timey car race
like the one in Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang
Musicals!
Dick VanDyke
Marry Poppins
Julie Andrews
 I always mix her up with Julie Andrews
Sound of music
 the hills are alive!
 
 
the Hills Have Eyes
creepy demented radiation-poisoning creatures
Chernobyl
 
Boom.  That's a window into the rushing stream of consciousness that lives in my head.
that's why I need to follow my mind - or else it goes to Chernobyl...and that's just not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment