Monday, November 5, 2012

My Nebulous Brain

I'm not too sure where this post is going to wind up going...
Into the fog that lingers over the surface of the dregs of my imagination.  I'm not sure what this fog should smell like, but I feel like it should have a smell.  Well, that's up to you.
Oh yeah, since I'm in college and all that fun stuff I'll let you know what it's doing to my brain so far.
I haven't been blow away by some sort of earth-shattering knowledge, but I feel like there are little connections between subject areas and connections between things, which makes my brain remind me of an amoeba
that is expanding in little directions, continually outward.  There are little pinpricks of light and inspiration that show up sometimes, like little twinkling stars...awww, how quaint.
The word that comes to mind to describe this phenomenon is 'nebulous'
Dictionary.com says nebulous means "cloud-like" or "hazy" which I suppose is what I meant, but not really.  I think amoeba is a better descriptor than I thought it was. 
My laundry is in the dryer, and I'm really excited for when it comes out and I can put on my fuzzy sweatpants and be all warm and cozy.  I guess that's because I'm a land mammal.
warm and fuzzy
 also warm and fuzzy
need I say more?
Maybe it's because we [humans] don't have fur that is substantial in any way.  So fuzzy is something wonderful that we gravitate towards.  Residual memories of being baby monkey creatures? 
In an experiment of debatable ethics, Harry Harlow found that baby Rhesus monkeys spent more time with, and became more attached to fake 'mothers' like the one shown above, that were wrapped in a nice terrycloth versus to mothers that were made out of wire despite the fact that the wire mothers were the ones that actually would dispense milk to the babies.  Thereby, he proved that attachment in infant creatures was more based in comfort versus who actually gave them food.
Perhaps this could be applied to my sweatpants situation.  Despite the fact that my tight jeans are more figure flattering, I still prefer to wear my fuzzy sweatpants.  Maybe, maybe not.
Examples like what I just did is what I mean about the little connections that are showing up in my world.  The Harlow experiments, I learned about in my Pysch class, and the sweatpants seems totally irrelevant, but I think these little connections are a type of creative intelligence.  I'm taking two (or more) things and I'm putting together to cast a new light on something that exists in this world.  In this case "why are fuzzy pants so wonderful?"
That's my chunk of knowledge/theory for the evening folks, thank you very much, I'll be here all week.  Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment