Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Internet = Insanity?

While reading this article, I couldn't help making the connection to a certain youtube video, in which Jenna Marbles laments the amount of time she spends playing games on her Ipad.  She pretty much says (albeit more colorfully) exactly what the article says - without all the science-y stuff.  (Don't watch if offended by profanity)
I think that yeah, the internet is an issue for people.  I wouldn't say that I'm addicted, but then again, I spent about two hours over the weekend watching all the Jenna Marbles I could get my fingertips on.
Actually, if I think about it, I probably am addicted to the internet, because if I wasn't, this assignment would probably have been posted an hour ago before I got the bright idea of Jenna Marbles.  A lot of my internet time is spent on youtube.  People post movies up there, and random interestingthings (or just random things) that I would never watch anywhere but the internet.  It's a web of strange, yet entertaining things.  Some of the stuff I watch is just dumb.  It's stupid funny - cat videos anyone?
I'm not sure if 'addicting' is exactly the right word, more like 'ridiculously easy to waste time on'.  It's like disappearing for an hour or two, and then resurfacing and wondering where that time went. 
The internet is also a place for really good information, and actual intellegence, however.  most of my classwork comes from the internet, and I have to do research (internet again), and quite honestly, whenever I get curious about something, I head on over to Wikipedia, and wind up spending an hour reading about obscure things I never would have found out any other way. 
But, I was pretty surprised and alarmed at the part of the article that mentions how the internet affects your brain.  That was scary.  I don't want to be shrinking my brain, or wiring the thing in weird ways because I like watching stupid youtube videos.  My brain is pretty much all I have, and it's got to stay healthy and fully functioning.  Scary stuff, kiddies.  Turn those computers off!....maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment