Tuesday, September 18, 2012

How to be a Creative Person

I was reading this, which is an article on how to be a creative person and stuff, which I thought was cool and all, but it made me wonder about myself.  I consider myself to be a creative person, and I don't have a system to encourage it. 
It just sort of bursts out of me like a chestburster alien at random times. 
(I decided this would be more tasteful that the bloody mess that is a chestburster)

But, I guess I believe that you can train your creativity, it is, after all, a process of the mind, and the mind can be trained.  You can train yourself to look for outrageous ideas, and to follow them so that they become something useful.  The article seems to regard 'creativity' as not just a process or ability of the mind, but as a general outlook on life.  Creativity is a certain way of looking at the world - a pair of glasses that you can put on if you so chose, and, apparently, everything is more fun that way.  Less mundane, I suppose.
I've tried carrying a journal around with me, but then I either forget it, or don't feel like writing in it, or I feel weird whipping it out in public.  I feel like I look really creepy or weird if I write in a mysterious little notebook all the time.
I think that the idea of creating a space for creativity is a very valid one, it is a physical representation of the state of mind that creation is.  I'd like a creative space - but, unfortunately, I'd need to have a house or apartment or something, which I don't.  All I've got is half a dorm room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment